Saturday, January 8, 2011

Loving-Kindness

I was found the loving kindness exercise which we were required to do for this weeks unit, to be a very interesting concept. It would be great to be able to eventually be able to live your life having that outlook, but it would be very difficult for most people. For myself, it found it very hard to think of all the horrors that occur in the world and the people who are the cause of them, with an attitude of loving kindness. This was the first time I have ever tried a loving-kindness exercise, and I can see that it would be beneficial for everyone. I just need to practice the technique further.
The concept of a mental workout is basically just some activity that requires extra effort of your mind. It is exercising the mind. Mental workouts can be used to benefit your psychological health by helping you to become more tuned in to your mind, and what you may need to do to keep it healthy.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda,
    I wish my husband were in this class because he would really be able to relate to your thoughts about the loving kindness exercise. He is a correctional officer at the local state prison and sometimes it is so hard for him to let go of the horrors that those men have done. He tries really had not to bring it home, but finds it very challenging. After reading your post I wanted to take the time to tell you what I tell him. It is good to be aware of your surrounding and acknowledge that evil exists, but it is not for you to worry about and clog up your mind with other people's mistakes. And if you allow your mind to be clogged than there is no way for you to let those thoughts escape. Just know that other's mistakes are not supposed to be your burdens to bare.
    Because of my husband's job I too visualize the horrible things that exist, but I realize that I can only control my (and my daughters) environment and be cautious in my life and help others if they ask. This doesn't mean to live in fear or become a recluse, but accept the knowledge and use it to protect you and your family. Remember also that it is not your place to judge someone, but only when they meet their maker will they be judged. Don't burden yourself with what others have done.
    Wheww! Can you tell my husband and I have had this talk many times, lol. Hope I didn't offend or overwhelm you, but that I eased your mind.
    Be Well,
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amanda,

    At first I did not want to think about taking the pain or suffering from someone else, I thought that would be too horrible. But after listening to the exercise I see it was not what I was originally thinking it would be like. Another example of jumping to the wrong conclusion and a negative thought over-riding something that was actually good. I really enjoyed learning the exercise this week and look forward to learning more ways to a healthier mind, body and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Earlier this week my fiance suggested renting a horror movie (which he knows I hate) because he wanted me to curl up in his arms while he protected me from my fears. Silly, but my point is, everything exists for a reason. Without the dark we don't need the light. If there was no evil we wouldn't appreciate the goodness, or experience forgiveness and loving kindness. I know I'm trying to make sense of a senseless thing, but somehow thinking those things makes me feel more peaceful. I don't like watching horror movies because I want as much of my life as possible to be positive. I can't control everything, but I can control which movies I watch and I see no point in spending my time watching something that doesn't make me feel good.

    ReplyDelete