Sunday, January 23, 2011

Integral Assessment

For me, the loving-kindness meditation exercise and the integral assessment that were a part of this weeks assignments were not difficult to do. I found that the loving-kindness meditation really brought about a sense of peace, and sort of oneness with the world. In completing my integral assessment, I realized very quickly that the area of my life that I needed to focus on growth and development is the worldly aspect. This is because I have social anxiety, and I have difficulty interacting with other people. I am extremely shy, and I prefer to just keep to myself. This is a problem I have dealt with my entire life, and I have not been able to overcome it. Honestly, I believe I am just a shy and quiet person by nature and I will never overcome that completely. The key lies in learning to thrive among others despite it. I could further develop this area of my life by trying to get more involved in my community, and interacting with others as much as I can.

2 comments:

  1. This may not be the best advice but i have a couple of friends who have social anxiety and are introverted around strangers. Once they get to know you they are fine, but alas they hide away so you cant get to know them. The only i get them to be social now hold on to your seat i use a little social lubricant a thing i call alcohal. I know this sounds like horrible advice however moderation is the key to all things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think being able to recognize your struggle with being shy is the first step to correcting it. Sometimes just taking a small step in the right direction like this works. Thank you for sharing your experience with loving kindness.

    ReplyDelete