Sunday, January 16, 2011

Loving Kindness vs. Subtle Mind

I found this weeks subtle mind exercise to be easier to do than the loving-kindness exercise. I think this was mainly because the subtle mind exercise was so similar to meditation exerises that I have been doing for a while. Since I have a little experience with this kind of exercise, it was not hard for me to focus on my breathing and allow my various thoughts to fade away. When I successfully quiet my mind, it fills me with a great sense of peacefulness.
Spiritual wellness is very much connected to mental and physical wellness. If a person is healthy in their spiritual wellness, it will be reflected in their mind and body as well. I can see this connection in my life because when I do an exercise such as the subtle mind exercise, or the loving-kindness exercise I feel in much better health mentally and physically.

3 comments:

  1. It was good you able to do the subtle mind exercise better, to me that exercise was not relaxing to me but I think it may been because of the CD I was using from the book did not go through the exercise right, I just uploaded the exercise from KU Campus and it is different from the CD. My CD was very static. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, it is good to hear that you enjoyed the exercise. I too found it worked better than the loving-kindness exercise though I hadexercises siilar to these in nter class I find the ones from this class to be more difficult. The peacefulness you mentioned in your blog is the best part of learning t relax, that feeling of the weight lifted from your shoulders if only for a moment, enjoy the peacefulness and don't foget you can find it again when you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I agree that the subtle mind was easier than the loving-kindness. However I do like the loving-kindness because sometimes I need to be more loving and kind rather than just meditating and calming my mind. I have some days where I think one would benefit more than the other. Yes I agree that spiritual, mental, and physical fitness all tie in together and without them all being healthy we can not be totally healthy.

    ReplyDelete